Monday, August 27, 2012

Smoke Gets In Your Skies

Sunday.  It's becoming routine that every afternoon the smoke from the Idaho fires travels hundreds of miles, spreads out across the valley, and lays down a hazy blanket that obscures the mountains to the north and to the south.  The horizon in every direction looks grayish-white and filters the sunlight.  Today was the same.  I was at the lake and had planned to take some pictures of what may be my last blast on the jet-ski before it turns chilly.  However, the sky was so gray, I wasn't at all inspired to grab the camera.

After I got home, unloaded, washed the jet-ski, and parked it the garage, the evening started to cool a bit.  Ahhh... And, amazingly, the smoke receded, and the mountains and blue skies were revealed.  The cool air did the trick.

Hopefully, a change of weather soon will help douse the many forest fires in the west. Bless those fire-fighters who are battling the hot blazes and smoke day after day!

Although I've noted that the days are getting shorter, I hadn't really paid that much attention to the clock at sunset.  But tonight I did, and the sun was just about to disappear behind the mountain peaks at 7:45 p.m.  I'm going to miss the long summer evenings...

At 7:00 p.m. the sun was already getting lower in the sky.

By 7:40, the sun was back-lighting the smoke sneaking over the mountains.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos. While I will miss the longer daylight hours, I am eager for the cooler temperatures and clear skies of Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics and the account of recent Wyoming skies.
    wyogg

    ReplyDelete