Monday, November 30, 2015

Good weather for knitting

With the big snow storm that has hit WY (and we even got mentioned on national news!) the deep snow and icy roads have certainly not kept people from getting out and about, but it has given many a good reason to stay inside, keep a fire going, and just enjoy the first round of winter weather.  I find it a good excuse to cuddle up with a good knitting project! 


When I was in Port Angeles, WA in October, I got to visit a great little knitting shop!  I barely got in the door when I saw a knitting pattern hanging on a display of beautiful yarn.  The name of the pattern is Blue Water Cowl, by Shui Kuen Kozinski.  On the pattern it says, "This cowl is inspired by clear Blue Water."  Well, having been surrounded by water for two weeks, I thought that knitting this cowl  would be a good reminder of the Lighthouse Keeper experience.  I got Kathleen's attention and showed her the pattern and yarn, and she loved it too.  Seriously, when I looked at the pattern, I couldn't imagine how in the world it was knit, but the effect was so cool, I just had to try it.  How tough could it be???  I picked up a skein of yarn for myself, and I told Kathleen (who crochets) that if she bought a skein, I would knit a cowl for her.  She said she would also buy the pattern, and we had a deal.  The pattern had to be purchased from Ravelry, and a link to printing it off was sent to my email, ready to be printed when I got home.  So easy.  This pattern is knit in the round; it starts with casting on 280 stitches with the knitted method. 


At this point I am 2/3 of the way through the pattern.  It is the craziest thing I've ever knit; I can't imagine how the author of this pattern figured out how to make this design!  Seriously! The picture on the pattern looks like it was knit either with a little bit thicker yarn, or with smaller needles than called for in the pattern.  The fabric just looks more dense.  Mine looks a bit more lacy (although you cannot see it in this photo).  At first, I was not sure the more lacy look was going to work, but I think it will be fine.

I feel like I'm getting to the home stretch, and I am much more comfortable with the pattern now.  This is a good thing, because I have another one to make after this one is completed and sent to Florida!!


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful - I can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT is soooo lovely. What a great job you are doing. Love the color of the yarn it shows off the pattern well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, and a perfect reminder of your time in WA!

    ReplyDelete