Monday, August 18, 2014
More more thumb, then done...I mean finished.
They are made out of Baby Alpaca, one of my favorite fibers! This is a new pattern for me too; I've not previously made the fancy fold-over hems at the wrists and fingers, but I really like the way it looks.
I have to say that I had a rough start. The pattern called for size 5 needles, and the opening of the mitts were huge! I was already past the cuff pattern...and ripped it all out. Ouch! So, then I started again with the same number of stitches, but used a size 4 needle. I got to the same spot. The sizing was much better, but it looked as though the mitts were going to still be a bit big. They would have probably been OK for someone like me with large hands, but for my friend, this was not going to work. After a discussion with my knitting buddies, I decided it was worth a try to change to size 3 needles and continue knitting. I cast on the second mitt right away so I could make sure I changed needle size at the same point. Now the mitts look just like the picture on the pattern, and they fit perfectly. So, I will need to write down a few "notes to self" on this pattern.