Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Closing the door on winter...

OK, it's not spring yet. But officially, March 20th, the first day of spring, if getting pretty close.  And, the temps have come up well above freezing during the day, so it feels like spring is right around the corner!!  Sunday afternoon I attended a vocal concert, and I didn't even have to wear a jacket!! 

This next "season" is aptly called "Springtime in the Rockies."  Which translates into very strange weather. Heavy, wet snow one day, and 50 degrees and sunny the next.  You know well the saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait 30 minutes." 

I looked up the lyrics to Gene Autry's "When It's Springtime in the Rockies," and found one verse that described the general feel of spring in this part of the country:

          The twilight shadows deepen into night, dear 
          The city lights are gleaming o'er the snow 
          I sit alone beside the cheery fire, dear 
          I'm dreaming dreams from out the long ago.

Really, the signs of green grass poking through winter's cover and the splashes of color from spring flowers are still a good month away.  So while I'm confined to sitting by the "cheery fire" in the mornings, I'm delighting in my African Violet which is slowly opening its blooms. 



2 comments:

  1. Spring won't be too long now ....but, if I remember northern weather, it could produce a few surprises before the sunny warm weather stays for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. March truly is the transition month between winter and spring. April is indeed the month when spring arrives in the Rockies.

    ReplyDelete