Tuesday, November 13, 2012

NYC, Day 3

It was Sunday morning, and the news reports were available on nearly all TV stations.  Hurricane Sandy had definitely turned toward the East Coast and was predicted to hit Atlantic City, New Jersey.  New York would be hit too...so we were prepared to watch the weather and conditions. 
Cameron, Amanda, and me in the hotel restaurant for breakfast.

Nevertheless, Cory and I continued with our plans for the day.  It started out with breakfast in the hotel...and Cameron and Amanda joined us.  Cameron is the son of one of my dearest friends, and as he was growing up,  I had the privilege of working with him in music and drama productions, as well as in my H.S. English classes.  He and his wife moved to Brooklyn only weeks ago, and they are loving it.  How surreal to spend time with each other in NYC!!  It was a treat to see and visit with them both!

Afterwards, Cory and I set out to see the exhibits at the Museum of Modern Art.  The museum has 6 floors of exhibits, and on the 6th floor was a special children's show.  From there, we made our way down to the main floor.   The visit was an awesome experience.  How great it is to see original paintings by the best artists!  I took only two pictures, but I was so awed by the French Impressionist paintings, as well as many American artists I have studied. 
Picasso's "Girl in Front of a Mirror"
Andy Warhols' "Marilyn Monroe"

We had lunch in one of the museum's cafes, and then we cruised the gift shops.

On the walk back to the hotel, we stopped at Rockefeller Center and shopped in the Metropolitan Museum Shop and Teuscher Chocolates. 
Rockefeller Center
While I watched the skaters and took pictures, Cory took a moment to sit down and check her messages. 

The sky turned grey, and we stayed in the hotel for dinner, for news updates on the hurricane, and multiple episodes of "Love It or List It" on HGTV.  Everyone in NYC was instructed to go home early, as all public transportation would be shut down at 7:00 p.m. It was reported that schools would be closed for two days, and all airports up and down the eastern seaboard would be shut down.  Also, we got the news that our flight home on Tuesday afternoon had been cancelled.   Cory spent several hours on the phone trying to get through to United and rebook a flight. (That was lengthy and frustrating!) Finally, Cory's business meetings had been cancelled too!

What a place to be stranded in, eh?  We were sure to make the best of it.


  1. Thanks for sharing. I love to follow your trip and see the different experiences and sites.
    Rebel Follower

  2. You saw Cam and Amanda, too? How fun is that!