Friday, April 12, 2013

Curb your enthusiam...

All the excitement about the warm spring temps has to be sent to the curb.  WY got hit with a dandy snow storm and lots of wind at my house.  I guess we got close to a foot of snow...but all mine was sculpted into drifts.  I can't get my car out of the garage, but I've got a pickup, so I could bust through the drifts and at least have a way out of here if necessary.







April is National Poetry Month.  The sculpted snow structures remind me of lines from "The Snowstorm" by Ralph Waldo Emerson.  The second stanza creates great imagery:

"Come see the north wind's masonry.
Out of an unseen quarry evermore
Furnished with tile, the fierce artificer
Curves his white bastions with projected roof
Round every windward stake, or tree, or door.
Speeding, the myriad-handed, his wild work
So fanciful, so savage, nought cares he
For number or proportion.  Mockingly,
On coop or kennel he hangs Parian wreaths:           
A swan-like form invests the hidden thorn:                
Fills up the farmer's land from wall to wall."

(Parian: referring to a fine, white marble of the Greek city of Paros.)

4 comments:

  1. I shoveled and shoveled this stuff off of my walks and those of the neighbors - thankfully, not too many drifts in town. At least the snow was packed with needed moisture.

    Love Emerson's poem: it's the first time I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me, this IS April, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They should also make April national "oh my gosh, is that really snow" month.

    Sorry about that...hopefully the nice weather will come again.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You *could* bust through with the pickup truck OR.....you could just stay in with cups of tea and knit all day. I would go for the latter.

    ReplyDelete